Ph.D. (2005) University of Cambridge, European History
MA (1996) University of Constance, European History and Slavic Literatures
Charlotte Henze studies Imperial Russia between the early eighteenth and early twentieth centuries, with an emphasis on political, social, cultural history and the history of cities.
Her current research explores the vital encounters among Russians, Finns, Swedes and Germans in the Russian Empire's Finnish borderland over the course of the 18th century (project title : Imperial Borderland: The Russo-Swedish Border in Finland, 1703-1815). Looking at Russia's and Sweden's struggle for control over the Finnish lands - the culmination of an already centuries-old European conflict over political and economic dominance of the Baltic Sea - she strives to uncover the essential background to Russia's transformation into an empire and Finland's development as a modern nation-state.
More broadly, she investigates ideas of national territory and identity as they evolved within the ascendent Russian empire, thus revisiting the nature of early Imperial Russia and its relationship with Western Europe.
- Henze, Charlotte, “Epidemics and Empire: Cholera in Russia, 1892“, Elina Kahla, ed., The Unlimited Gaze: Essays in Honour of Natalia Baschmakoff(Helsinki: Aleskanteri Series, 2009), S. 251-271.
- Henze, Charlotte, Disease, Health Care and Government in Late Imperial Russia. Life and Death on the Volga, 1823-1910 (London: Routledge, 2011.
- Henze, Charlotte, „The Russo-Finnish Border in the Eighteenth Century“, Newsletter of the Study-Group on Eighteenth Century Russia, vol. 1, 2013.
- Henze, Charlotte, „Peter I and the Conquest of Finland, 1701-1723“, Newsletter of the Study-Group on Eighteenth Century Russia,vol. 5, 2017.
- Henze, Charlotte, review of Der Aufbruch der Provinz. Die Eisenbahn und die Neuordnung der Räume im Zarenreich, by Sperling, Walter. Russian Review, vol. 71, no. 3 (July 2012), p. 517.
- Henze, Charlotte, review of Medicine, Law, and the State in Imperial Russia, by Becker, Elisa M. The Slavonic and East European Review, vol. 91, no. 2 (April 2013), pp. 365-367.
- Henze, Charlotte, review of From the Womb to the Body Politic: Raising the Nation in Enlightenment Russiaby Kuxhausen, Anna. The Slavonic and East European Review, vol. 92, no. 3 (July 2014), pp. 560-561.
- Henze, Charlotte, review of Wächter der Gesundheit. Staat und lokale Gesellschaften beim Aufbau des Medizinalwesens im Russischen Reich, 1762-1831. By Daria Sambuk. Slavic Review, vol. 76, no. 2 (Summer 2017), pp. 549-550.
- Henze, Charlotte, review of Russia’s Path towards Enlightenment: Faith, Politics, and Reason, 1500-1801by Hamburg, Gary M. The Slavonic and East European Review, vol. 96, no. 2 (April 2018), pp. 362-364.